b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ark of the Covenant

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Banyai AT t-online.de (Michael Banyai)
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ark of the Covenant
  • Date: 18 Aug 2004 20:32 GMT

Dear Marianne:

> Who says so? What is there to indicate any confusion between Tutimaeos and
> Tethmosis? The names are not even rendered the same way in Greek. One
> might
> suspect a confusion if there were not a ruler named Dudimose among the
> petty
> kings in the Turin Canon during the Second Intermediate Period. And who
> has
> the authority to contradict Manetho as being "wrong" today? I suppose the
> same
> people who accuse Queen Hatshepsut of lying when she said the Hyksos were
> still in Avaris up to her own time. This woman's father, husband and
> nephew were
> all named Thutmose. Why is it so surely assumed that even though Ahmose
> drove out some Hyksos that others couldn't have come back to the great city
> within
> a matter of a few years? Or perhaps Ahmose didn't really succeed as well
> as
> claimed. Right after he chased the Hyksos to Sharuhen (on the southernmost
> tip of Canaan) Ahmose had to turn back to fight the Nubians--because they
> had
> formed an alliance with the Hyksos.
> Also a great flood occurred in Egypt during his time and he had that to
> contend with, according to the "Tempest Stele" at Karnak.

Hatschepsut doesn´t referr to a reconquest of Awaris by the Hyksos, fact
which is simply aberrant and archaeologically demonstrably wrong. Read
Bietak´s dig reports.

In fact we understand more when reading her follower´s Thuthmosis statement,
to justify his war with Retenu, that as the (Egyptian) army in Sharuchen was
the foreign lands rebelled beginning from ... That means Retenu fell off from
the former Hyksos controlled countries. The Egyptians hoped to inherit the
Asiatic posessions of the Hyksos after the fall of Scharuchen, what didn´t
happen. There is however no identity between Hyksos and Retenu. There is no
evidence for identifying them with Retenu. Both Egypt and Retenu were once
dominated by the Hyksos and seceded from them.

You have still overseen the passus in Helck, Untersuchungen.

> > This set against the name of the aloes in roman times, called "Ammos
> > Hiksoitike", which was brought from Arabia. The name of the last king of
> > the
> > Amalekites according to the arabian lore is much the same as that of the
> > last Hyksos
> > after the fall of Awaris, in Sharuchen: H3mwdj, that was es-Someida. The
> > syllabic writing H3mwdj renders H-m-d-, thus with three open syllables.
> > Manetho
> > usually renders „h“ as „s“. The Amalekites ought according to the same
> > arabic tradition have once controlled Egypt.
> >

> I leave your arguments and theories intact--but where does it indicate that
> Manetho usually renders h as s?

You can read this as a plain statement in J. von Beckerath, „Untersuchungen
zur politischen Geschichte der Zweiten Zwischenzeit in Ägypten“, Glückstadt,
1964, pp.131 in the context of a discussion of the name of H3mwdj.

Best regards,

Bányai Michael
Stuttgart