b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hyksos Manetho et al - was Ark of the covenant

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: MarianneLuban AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hyksos Manetho et al - was Ark of the covenant
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 14:48:46 EDT

In a message dated 8/19/2004 10:53:42 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Banyai AT t-online.de writes:

> Thuthmosis III is clear in this retrospect. "But it happened in later times
> as the garrison was (came?) there in the town Of Sharuhen, that from Jurza
> to the outer ends of the earth (every man) had become rebellious against
> his
> majesty" This means from Jurza southwards was all under controll. There is
> no
> place for a rebellious Awaris between the period of Ahmose and Thutmosis
> III.

Oh, yes, there is. First off, you know that what you quoted is broken and
only variously reconstructed by philologists. So there is no real way to
know
exactly what Sharuhen had to do with anything. Secondly, Manetho wrote that
the king "Tethmosis" first made a siege on Avaris and ultimately made a pact
with the inhabitants to leave WITHOUT BLOODSHED. I put this in caps because
it
is very important IMO and certainly does not coincide with the bloody battles
indicated in texts from the time of Kamose and Ahmose--let alone their
predecessor, Seqenenre, whose mummy shows that he had his head bashed in by
both
Hyksos mace and battle-axe. For some reason, Egyptologists want Ahmose to
have
been highly successful, making Egypt "Hyksos-rein" and are not inclined to
believe anything that Hatshepsut said on account of the way she treated their
"darling" Thutmose III. But they were not there--and if you call one ruler a
liar,
you may as well call them all liars, too.