b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: [-] Hyksos Manetho et al - was Ark of the covenant

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Banyai AT t-online.de (Michael Banyai)
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: [-] Hyksos Manetho et al - was Ark of the covenant
  • Date: 19 Aug 2004 20:16 GMT

No Mraianne,

you are wrong, I am not calling Hatschepsut a liar (at least not in this
inscription) but she talks according to my opinion about two facts having
happened at different times:

"For I have raised up what was dismembered beginning (37) from the time when
the Asiatics were in the midst of the Delta, (in) Avaris, with vagrants in
their midst, (38) toppling what had been made."

The asiatics have been in Awaris and have toppled the temples and paid no
respect to Re (last fact is arguable). Awaris has been conquered by Ahmose
but the destroyed temples were re-erected just later by Hatschepsut. This is
the point made in this sentence.

"They ruled without the Sun, and he did not act by god's decree down to my
(own) uraeus-incarnation. (Now) I am set (39) on the Sun's thrones, having
been foretold from ages of years as one born to take possession. I am come as
Horus, the sole (40) uraeus spitting fire at my enemies. I have banished the
gods' abomination, the earth removing their footprints."

Following this she expelled the remaining Hyksos population from Egypt. Do
you see here any mention of a conquest of Awaris by herself? You are
interpreting to much into the text. There is none. I would doubt, should she
have conquered Awaris, that she would have omitted to boast with this
achievement. Furthermore it is unclear were the link Thuthomsis III at the
time of the Speos Artemidos inscription still a child should be.

Don´t forget the garbled story attributed by Josephus to Manetho too
concerning Amenophis father of Sethos (here is Amenophis a confusion with
Menreptah because Manetho garbles the story of Menreptah with that of
Ekhnaton=Amenophis IV). In the following he speaks about Amenophis son of
Paapis (Amenophis son of Hapu a contemporary of Amenophis IV) having given
the suggestion to expell the Hyksos. Chairemon calls this one Phritiphrantes.
Of a religious war implicating the destruction of the temples (the monotheist
reform of Ekhnaton). Of the revolt of Moses a priest of
Heliopolis(Amenmesse=Messui a contemporary this time of Menreptah). Of his
retreat to Awaris and his alliance with the Hyksos (now your favorite
subject). Than of the return of the Egyptian king in the company of the
Ethiopian king (Piankhy). Continuing with Lisymachos and Apion: Moses was a
priest of Heliopolis Moses (once more Messui=Amenmesse the contemporary of
Menreptah) is a contemporary of Bokhoris and thus of Piankhy or at least has
lived at the time of the 7-th Olympiad (which means roughly the same).

We could continue but it is already clear: this is all pure fantasy putting
in the same baskett the whole Egyptian history.

Once we know the story we are able to disentagle it and it is usefull but it
is otherwise entirely misleading. I have studied Manetho too, to know there
is no Manetho remnant here but a mere Eratosthenes made fake with the purpose
to align his imaginary date of Troy with Manetho´s mention of Tewosre as
contemporary of the fall of Troy (after a first attempt doing so with
Amenophis III imagined to have been Memnon, who fell in front of Troy).
Erathostenes has doubled and trippled the kings in the original list of
Manetho in his library to reach his invented Troy date (1184). He even
sistematically added 10, 20, 30 years to the reigns of the Egyptian kings.
Than came Ephoros with 50 years lower date for Troy, because he set a lower
date for the beginnign of the Olympiads 737 instead of 777. He lowered the
dates of the Saite dynasty therefore at random to reach a date of 1135 for
Tewosre. Do you beleave there was anything still at his place after this
Greek forgery?

Since the only emerging result of accepting Thuthmosis as the destroyer of
Awaris is mere conflict with the primary historical sources, the best we
could do would be to drop this possibility.

Best regards,

Bányai Michael
Stuttgart