b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 1450 BCE Exodus ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 1450 BCE Exodus ?
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 07:25:08 +0200

I don't dispute Thiele (though I disagree on some details). What I'm saying
is that the reason that Thiele and other had to postulate co-regencies,
differing ascension-year formulae and the like is because they HAD to MAKE
the biblical data fit the extra-biblical dates. They had to make all of the
kings from Rehoboam (year 5) to Hezekiah (or Ahaz) fit between Shishak (925)
and Tiglath-Pileser (733), and then again Sennacherib (701), Necho (609) and
Nebuchadnezzar (586/7). Had they disregarded Shishak at the "top" end, they
could have used the biblical regency-dates without any emendation, or
explanation. Now I don't dispute any of this: I'm just showing how much of
our "biblical" chronology is based on the equation of Shishak=Sheshonq I.

Yigal

And BTW: Please let's not nit-pick about 924, 925, 926 etc. Almost all of
the dates might be off by a year or two.

From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>