b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 1450 BCE Exodus ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 1450 BCE Exodus ?
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 23:05:02 +0100

On 24/07/2004 23:30, Yigal Levin wrote:

Dear Peter,

While I have not read Rohl and cannot comment directly on his work, I differ
with your basic assumption. The next fixt date, in which a biblical event is
clearly mentioned in a dated source, is the invasion of Israel by
Tiglath-pilesser III in 733. ...

I suppose you refer to 2 Kings 15:29. This will do as an earlier alternative to Nebuchadnezzar. I don't know how secure the extra-biblical evidence is for Tiglath-Pileser's invasion date, but I won't dispute it. Nor does Rohl, by the way.

... Working back from there, using biblical
evidence only, would NOT get us to 926 for 1 Kings 6:1

I think it is generally agreed that the various biblical dates for the kings can be reconciled only by postulating co-regencies. Scholars like Thiele have worked on this, and seem to have agreed on dates between 925 and 927 for Shishak's invasion - not for the foundation of the temple, which is more like 967 in this scheme. Hence the Exodus date of 480 years before this. As far as I can tell the only evidence for this consensus dating is from the Bible; it doesn't come from an independent dating of Sheshonq because there isn't one.

You can disagree with Thiele and others' interpretation of the biblical data if you like, but it is fairly widely accepted as the best you can do with that evidence. I know there are alternative interpretations of the details, but they lead to only small differences in the total period of the divided monarchy.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)