b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 1450 BCE Exodus ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 1450 BCE Exodus ?
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 01:13:39 +0100

On 25/07/2004 00:28, Karl Randolph wrote:

I just looked up the history of Persia, and noticed that dates for the
burning of Persipolis ranged from 331–327 BC. Then go a few hundred years
earlier to when Cyrus captured Babylon, how far inaccurate is that date? When
exactly did Nebuchadnezzar capture Jerusalem? Do we know exactly the year
Tiglath-pilesser III invaded Israel? I am willing to say that all these dates
are approximate; in fact, I am unwilling to give exact dates for anything
that happened before Constantine set up the modern calendar. All other dates
are attempts of translating from one calendar to another, sometimes three or
four translations before getting here, and mistakes can cumulate. That’s
assuming that we have complete records to begin with which, AFIK, we don’t.
Thus I put the Exodus as happening 1450 ± ?? where I’m not sure of ??. In
fact, I’m suspicious of those who insist on exact dates, or even exact years.

Karl W. Randolph.

One thing can be used to give absolute chronological dates: eclipses. Some of the dates around Nebuchadnezzar's time can be proved from eclipse records. David Rohl also relies a lot on eclipse records for his theories. Such datings are risky when unconfirmed as the data can be misleading, but they can be useful for confirming and giving precise dates for events whose approximate dates are recorded elsewhere.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)