b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 1450 BCE Exodus ? 'Apiru = Hebrews ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 1450 BCE Exodus ? 'Apiru = Hebrews ?
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 22:40:09 +0200

Please remember, that the dates given below are all based on the assumption
that Shishak, who invaded Judah in Rehoboam's 5th year, is the same as
Sheshonq I, who invaded "Retenu" in c. 925 B.C.E. I personally do not doubt
the equation, but this just shows that this whole dating scheme is not
purely "biblical" - it is based on modern scholarly research, both of the
Bible and of Egyptian chronology. So the date of 1446 for the Exodus is no
more "Biblical" than any other.

Furthermore, what 1 Kings 6:1 actually says, is that Solomon built the
Temple in his 4th year, which was the 480th since the Exodus. 480 just
happens to be 40 x 12. 40, as in the reigns of both David and Solomon (and
Saul, according to Acts), as well as the length of time the Israelites spent
in the desert, the time (and multiples of) that many of the Judges ruled,
the number of days that the Flood lasted, that the spies spent touring the
Land, that Moses spent on Mt. Sinai (so did Elijah) and so on, has long been
recognized as being a typological number, that is used to signify the
passage of a whole period of time (a generation). It's even used in the
Mesha inscription. And 12, of course, is the number of the sons of Jacob, of
the tribes of Israel, of Solomon's districts, of the Judges, of the month of
the year and so on. So I would have little qualms about taking any of those
figures figuratively.

Yigal