b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 1450 BCE Exodus ? 'Apiru = Hebrews ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: "Brian Roberts" <formoria AT carolina.rr.com>, "Uri Hurwitz" <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 1450 BCE Exodus ? 'Apiru = Hebrews ?
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 09:40:27 +0200

I haven't been following this thread very closely, so I would like to ask if
the following points have been discussed or elucidated:
1) Habiru would be 'ober in Hebrew because of the Canaanite shift, and not
'ibri.
2) Moreover, 'ibri in the earlier books of the Tanakh (Exodus, 1 Sam.) does
not appear to be an ethnic term but a socio-economic class. It's only in
Deut. 15 and Jonah where 'ibri appears to be an ethnic designation.
Sincerely,
Jonathan D. Safren, Editor
Mo'ed - Annual for Jewish Studies
Center for Jewish Culture