b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Outline History (was Job and Sumer)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Michael Banyai <Banyai AT t-online.de>, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Outline History (was Job and Sumer)
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:02:00 -0700 (PDT)

Yes, this view is quite common nowadays. For a totally different approach
that supports in broad outline the Patriarchial narratives based on a great
deal of external evidence, please consult K. Kitchen's recent work On ther
Reliability of the Old testament. It is worth consulting for other periods
too because of the large collection of extra-biblical sources.

The earlier parts of Israel's historical narratives, till the Divided
Kingdom say, can be accepted cautiously as valid outline history.

Uri

Michael Banyai <Banyai AT t-online.de> wrote:

Furthermore the description of patriarchal age itself is made possible by the
survival, of what the writers of the considered to have been patterns typical
of the patriarchal age, into these later ages.

The patriarch stories project in fact in a quite anachronistic manner a
halfnomadic society as surviving in more desertic regions of the Sinai and
the Arabian peninsula. It is to be pointed that the patriarchs where rather
something as "displaced sedentary people" seeking new settling land in a
region where land was already settled than genuine nomadists.

Refferences to the Kasdim, et al, invading Arabia, or of El worship in Teman,
pushes the date rather into a late period, post 8th century. The most
probable period might be late Babylonian.

Best regards,

Bányai Michael
Stuttgart
>From tmcos AT rogers.com Fri Jun 11 17:14:23 2004
by fep02-mail.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com
(InterMail vM.5.01.05.12 201-253-122-126-112-20020820) with ESMTP id

<20040611211244.CFHY63200.fep02-mail.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com@cr1060240a>
for <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>; Fri, 11 Jun 2004 17:12:44 -0400