b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Job & Sumer

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "George F. Somsel" <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Job & Sumer
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 12:47:03 -0700

On 11/06/2004 10:43, George F. Somsel wrote:

Oh, I'm quite sure that was the reason the rabbis of the talmudic times
considered Job to have been written early, but why is it repeated today
as though it were gospel rather than simply as an historical note? ...

George, I don't remember anyone in this discussion stating an early date as anything like gospel. Even Herm wrote "I think". The only confident assertion ("slam-dunk") which anyone has made is David's that it was late and dependent on Sumerian material. You seem to be attacking a straw person here.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)