b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Job & Sumer

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Tony Costa" <tmcos AT rogers.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Job & Sumer
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 15:03:09 -0400

George, while you hold the Hebrew Bible and New Testament to be
"authoritative", what do you mean by this? Are they just as authoritative as
Homer's Illiad? The Amarna letters? Would you regard the Enuma Elish as
authoritative on par with Gen 1-2? Is the Epic of Gilgamesh just as
authoritative as the story of Noah in Gen 6-9? Why do choose the biblical
text over contemporary writings of the time whether they be Canaanite,
Babylonian or Assyrian? Is this question really one of relativism? In other
words, what do you believe constitutes authority in the Bible? When you
allude to the fact that the Bible need not "be authoritative for science,
history, geography, cosmogony, etc." are you implying that truth and fact
are trivial matters in the Bible? Does not the Bible also contain element of
history, geography and cosmogony?

Tony Costa