b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Job: More than Speculation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <david.kimbrough AT charter.net>
  • To: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Job: More than Speculation
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 18:35:21 +0000

QUESTION: Is there any evidence that Job were influenced by a pre-existing
Sumerian or Babylonian Job-like poems?

ANSWER: Yes, there is some.

AMPLIFICATION: Job is quite different from the rest of the OT. God is only
referred to as Yahweh occasionally, only in the prose portions of Job. In
the poetic portions he is never addressed as Yahweh or Elohim, the most
common names in the OT. He is, rather, mostly referred to as either El or
Shaddai (but not El Shaddai) and occasional other names. As was pointed out
by George I believe, Job is not obviously an Israelite or a Yahwahist (e.g.
there is no discussion of covenants, the patriarchs, Moses, the Law,
liberation from slavery in Egypt, crossing Yam Suf).

Those Judeans who were in exile in Babylon certainly could have been exposed
to the pre-existing Babylonian / Sumerian Job-like poems.

I pointed out earlier that the similarities between Job and the Babylon
Righteous Sufferer are not casual but they are also not identical. They are
both told from the first person, view the gods/God as the source of his
suffering, are at loss to understand why they are suffering, and despair of
ever knowing the truth. One Babylonian poem has a happy ending, like the
prose ending of Job.

There are differences as well as similarities. The Righteous Sufferer takes
the form of a monologue while Job is a series of dialogs. The Babylonian and
Sumerian poems are rather short (at least the surviving ones are) while Job
is quite long. Although Job is not obviously a Yahwahist, he is clearly
thinking of a monotheistic god, if not God.

There is evidence for influence. Is it *conclusive*? No, whatever
conclusive might here, but there is evidence. So this is not mere
speculation.