b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Job & Sumer

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Tony Costa" <tmcos AT rogers.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Job & Sumer
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 16:12:14 -0400

"You ask if the Bible as authoritative as Homer's Illiad, the Amarna
Letters, Enuma Elish, or Gilgamesh. Surely you jest. There is no way
that the Bible is as authoritative as these works."

George, why can't the Bible be as authoritative as these works? On what
logical grounds do you assert that it can't be?

"The canon is the rule of faith. But I must stress that it is the rule of
FAITH. It is not the rule for ORTHO - DOXY. Orthodoxy is gnostic in
origin, not Jewish or Christian. "

If orthodoxy (which by definition means "right opinion", "right belief") is
not the rule and is connected to gnosticism (!), then it is rather odd that
the Early Church Fathers used this term to distinguish heresy from true
doctrine which they called "orthodoxy". Morover, throughout the NT, emphasis
is placed on safe guarding "sound doctrine" (1 Tim.1:10; 6:3; 2 Tim.4:3;
Titus 1:9; Titus 2:1) Especially significant is 2 Tim.4:3 (NIV), "For the
time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine."

Tony Costa