b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Job & Sumer

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Job & Sumer
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 09:05:40 -0400

B-Haverim,

The liklihood that cultures who believe that their God or gods intervene in
the fortunes of men will have stories about righteous sufferers who question
their God (gods) is very high. The righteous are, after all, sometimes
going to suffer in this world, and far be it from even the righteous to keep
quiet about it! ;-) I would say this high probablility *lessens* the
probability of the dependence of one story upon another.

I may put it another way: the same cultural and psychological machinery in
two places and/or times is likely to produce similar stories.

I guess I view the book of Job as more product than machinery even though,
as a preacher, I often use the Scriptures as "spiritual machinery."

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Living Word Church