b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: Job & Sumer

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: Job & Sumer
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 06:27:10 -0500

Dear David K.,

I would point out that according to traditional
chronologies the Isrealites were in captivity in Egypt at
this time. An unlikely place and population to influce
Sumerian poetry.

HH: Remember, I was the one who doubted that there was any relationship between the two pieces of writing. I've read them both and don't see that there has to be any connection at all.

We can only go on the evidence at hand. There is no
evidence of any kind for the existence of the Hebrew
language or Hebrew versions of Job-like poems around 1700
BC. If new evidence arises, it can be considered. Without
evidence of some sort, it is just speculation.

HH: Well, my original point was that claiming a dependence of Job on the "The Riighteous Sufferer" was speculation.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard