b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] gen 1:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dora Smith" <villandra AT austin.rr.com>
  • To: "wattswestmaas" <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>, "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] gen 1:2
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 18:50:25 -0500

PS - The reason for the greatly differing translations of the first chapter
of Genesis is clearly lack of clarity of what the words mean, metaphorical
concepts (like deep sea), the meaning of which is lost on many or all modern
scholars, and terms like the two words for formless void that do not
translate into English. One has to come up with approximate English
concepts.

By the way, I don't know what you're talking about with the pausal form -
did someone offer an actual answer to your question that I missed?

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, Texas
villandra AT austin.rr.com