b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: in his death?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "UUC" <unikom AT paco.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: in his death?
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 22:03:53 +0300

Dear Liz,

If you agree on no difference between sin and guilt, then automatically you
come to no difference between sharing the guilt and being responsible for
it. Therefore, nasa is shared

I mean, we have no idea who wrote various books of Isaiah and at what time.
Can't extrapolate one reference to Cyrus to all books. mashiah wasn't too
high name in antiquity, so don't presume Isaiah is Cyrus-centered. Is53
evidently speaks of "one of us," a Jew.

>Milgrom suggests translating it as "bear responsibility for."<
No! See Lev22:15 if Aaronites profane the offerings, they (22:16) would be
guilty

What I'm saying, is that nasa in Is53 means being guilty, sharing the sin,
partaking in it. Not being responsible for others' sins, not taking them
away, not forgiving them. There is just no contrary precedent of nasa'
usage. Many people want to show that avdi was not tainted with avonot. I'm
saying - he surely was, because not in a single entry nasa means anything
else (with those caveats I mentioned, like Joseph forgiving for sin against
him personally).

Best regards,

Vadim