b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: in his death?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: in his death?
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 17:47:03 -0400

Dear Vadim,
No Sanhedrin, nope, nada.
You're retrojecting the Talmud into the Persian period.
Still I agree that he would have been buried elsewhere away
from the common folk.
The Zoroastrians had/have a custom of laying the body out
for the vultures to pick the flesh off and then placing the bones
in an above-ground sepulcher so that the bones don't defile
the earth or the air (air, earth, fire and water were holy).
That might be what is going on here.
Best,
Liz