b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: in his death?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: in his death?
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 16:07:59 -0400

Dear Vadim,
It is only the need to see Jesus here that
a Jewish court is inferred.

The text takes place in Babylon under Persian rule. I assure
you there were no Jewish courts. In fact, I can
assure you there were no Jewish courts even in
Judah during the Persian period. I discuss this
extensively in my article

You Shall Appoint Judges: "Ezra's Mission and the Rescript of Artaxerxes,"
in J. W. Watts, Persia and Torah: The Theory of Imperial Authorization of
the Pentateuch, SBL Symposium Series (Atlanta: Society of Biblical
Literature, 2001): 63-89.

and in my book

The Priest and the Great King: Temple-Palace Relations in the Persian
Empire, BJSUCSD 10 (Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns, 2004).

Liz Fried