b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: in his death?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "UUC" <unikom AT paco.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: in his death?
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 19:44:22 +0300

Dear Liz,

>That shouldn't be translated "bears the guilt of", but rather "bears the
responsibility of," the congregation, "takes responsibility for the
congragion."<
In Jewish justice, there is no responsibility without guilt. Period. You're
retrojecting modern concepts of pervasive sin, when a person feels guilty
when he is not.

> think it is worthwhile to remember tho that it is Cyrus who is
the Messiah in the book of Isaiah, not the servant.<
This is your assumption, not a fact.

>It means to take responsibility, but it
> doesn't imply guilt. The High Priest nasa' 'avon of the congregation.
Lev22:16; bear the iniquity
Here is a challenge, if you will: show me one example of nasa with avon,
pesha or het as forgiving (the one forgiving should be, of course, human,
and the sins in question should be more general than offense done to this
particular man) or evidently not related to sharing guilt. There is none.

Best regards,

Vadim

Best regards,

Vadim