b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 17:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "David Kimbrough (CLWA)" <dkimbrough AT clwa.org>
  • To: 'Yigal Levin' <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>, b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 17:8
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 12:43:02 -0700

Hmmm. Well I have to say that using your translation, I do not see any
negative connotations. It seems like a positive association to me,
comparing $oxad to a precious stone, a jewel perhaps. It is hard for me to
see how that is negative.

In the OT, this word $oxad is used 23 times. Most of them are clearly
references to bribery (Exd 23:8, Deu 16:19, Deu 27:25, 1Sam 8:3, Job 15:34,
Psa 15:5, Psa 26:10, Pro 17:23, Isa 1:23, 5:23, 33:15, 2Ch 19:7, Eze 22:12,
Mic 3:11, etc).

Other do not seem to have any negative association. 1Ki 15:19 and 2Ki 16:8
the reference is clearly to gifts from king to king, a normal, legal, and
positive activity, tokens of good faith and alliance.

Isa 45:13 seems to be a reference to reward, a gift for doing something
ethically good and legal, in this case freeing captives. I read it as the
righteous free captives for goodness alone, without expectation of reward.
However it could be read that the righteous free captives without expecting
ransoms, which the modern reader would have a negative association with. It
depends if the righteous is the captor, or liberates the captives from a 3rd
party captor.

I think of it this way, if one were to search the laws of say California,
one would find references to rules pertaining to gifts and government
officials, all with negative connotations, namely with the stated or
unstated concern of bribery. This does not mean that in English all gifts
are thought of as negative or bribes. It is just In the context of
regulating illegal activity, perversion of justice in particular (a subject
of great concern in the OT) the word gift is closely associated with
bribery.

David Eugene Kimbrough