b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: unikom AT paco.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 17:35:44 +0300 (EEST)

Dear Reinier,

Your example of Gen23:8 confirms to the pattern of paga usage in the
meaning of to intercede: it is always employed with preposition be,
meaning to intercede before someone. This is not the case in Isaiah 53.
Also, don't forget that Is53:12 employs hifil. Taking paga for intercede,
hifgia means making someone to intercede. This reading is meaningless in
the context. Returning to the more common sense of paga, to clash, we
have, to make someone to clash, or too attach oneself. This is how the
word is employed in Joshua.

Please let me know if this does not look persuasive.

Sincerely,

Vadim Cherny