b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: unikom AT paco.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 17:08:53 +0300 (EEST)

Dear Liz and Ann,

I'm not sure if word-for-word translation is very meaningful without the
commentaries, but here it is for you:

52:13 Lo, my servant will increase in knowledge, lifted up, highly exalted
[but he had risen much]

52:14 Just as many were astonished at you; [:] yes, mutilated is his
appearance among men, and his vividness among sons of men.

52:15 Yes, he would sprinkle many nations; their rulers will shut their
mouths on him, because what [whom] was not told them they saw, and what
[whom] they did not heard they contemplated.

1. Who believed in what was heard among us?

And on whom the arm of God was revealed?

2. He rose up like a shoot before him,

and like a root from sun-dry land:

not vividness in him, not splendor

and we would look at him -

and no appearance

but we would long for him.

3. Despised and rejected by men,

a man of suffering, known by sickness,

and as if making to turn faces from him, despised and disregarded.

4. Actually [this happened to him because] our illnesses he has lifted,

and has carried our sufferings,

and we regarded him afflicted, stricken by God and humbled;

5. but he is emptied out because of our crimes, dejected because of our
sinful digressions;

conscience of our world on him,

in his community is our relief.

6. We all wandered like small cattle,

each turning his way,

and God pushed the sinful digression of us all into him

7. He was hard pressed,

and he is bent,

and will not open mouth, like a lamb, which will be led to slaughter

and like a sheep is silent before its shearers,

and will not open his mouth.

8. From confinement and from court [he] was taken

and with his generation who would talk [?]

because he was cut from the land of the living;

because of the crime of my nation, disaster to it.

9. And [he] gave to malefactors his tomb, and to the rich - his altars,

although he did not violence,

and not deceit was on his lips.

10. And God, desiring his dejection, made him ill;

if his soul had brought a guilt offering,

he would have seen [his] descendants, prolonged days,

and the will of God would have succeeded through his efforts.

11. In result of the work of his soul,

he would have started seeing,

would have been filled by his knowledge,

my slave would have justified the righteous before multitude,

and their sinful digressions he would have withstood.

12. Because of this, I would have allotted him part among multitude

and [he] would have divided gain with many;

instead of which, he exposed his soul to death

and is reckoned among criminals;

and he has lifted [the] offense of many

and would be attached to criminals.

Sincerely,