b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psa 107:19-21 (was WAYYIQTOL)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psa 107:19-21 (was WAYYIQTOL)
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 12:13:18 -0700

On Saturday 13 March 2004 11:12, B. M. Rocine wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> Thank the Lord that there is some overlap in these views! It turns out
> that Galia also relates her ideas to DRiver's, maintaining that she has
> improved on his ideas (see p. 196). I referred Rolf to Driver's idea that
> the prefixed forms express nascent situations.

Yes, she did relate it to Driver's. Thanks for reminding me. It's been a
couple of years since I read her book, so obviously I need to go read it
again :-)

> Galia's idea is that the wayyiqtol is *inherently* sequential by virtue of
> the negation or specification of the modal yiqtol when vav plus the
> definite article is added. The naked yiqtol refers to a "possible"
> situation, and the wayyiqtol refers definitely to one of these possible
> situations, namely the actual situation. The next wayyiqtol expresses the
> next definite situation thereby moving the R-time.

Yes, and it was within that framework that she critiqued my approach.

> I think Rolf may disagree on what becomes a rather small point in my
> estimation. He may say that there is nothing about the wayyiqtol that
> makes it inherently sequential. The form merely implies sequentiality in
> context.

In that regard, if in no other, I agree with him contra Hatav. I don't see
inherent sequentiality, either. That seems to be just about the only point
of contact that Rolf's view and mine have, though.