b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psa 107:19-21 (was WAYYIQTOL)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psa 107:19-21 (was WAYYIQTOL)
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 13:12:15 -0500

Hi Dave,

Thank the Lord that there is some overlap in these views! It turns out that
Galia also relates her ideas to DRiver's, maintaining that she has improved
on his ideas (see p. 196). I referred Rolf to Driver's idea that the
prefixed forms express nascent situations.

Galia's idea is that the wayyiqtol is *inherently* sequential by virtue of
the negation or specification of the modal yiqtol when vav plus the definite
article is added. The naked yiqtol refers to a "possible" situation, and
the wayyiqtol refers definitely to one of these possible situations, namely
the actual situation. The next wayyiqtol expresses the next definite
situation thereby moving the R-time.

I think Rolf may disagree on what becomes a rather small point in my
estimation. He may say that there is nothing about the wayyiqtol that makes
it inherently sequential. The form merely implies sequentiality in context.

Shalom,
Bryan