b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psa 107:19-21 (was WAYYIQTOL)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Sameer Yadav <sameer_yadav2 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psa 107:19-21 (was WAYYIQTOL)
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 18:48:26 -0800 (PST)

Hi Dave,

Sorry for the presumption.

Buth doesn’t list the counterexamples he has in mind,
but he is likely referring to the same passages that
Hatav mentions in “The Semantics of Aspect and
Modality.” There are examples of qtl in
counterfactual clauses using the LW particle (Num
20:3) and its negated form LWL"Y (Gen 31:42). Even if
the modal meaning in cases like these is syntactic,
arising from the collocation of the particle plus the
suffixed form; the contribution of the qtl conjugation
is curious if it is an indicative form. There are
also uses counterfactual uses of qtl that occur
without the particle, like $FLAX:T.IY in the protasis
of the
conuterfactual condition in Exod 9:15 (see also e.g.
Num. 12:14; 22:33; 30:6).

In the conclusion to her book, Hatav acknowledges that
cases like these are problematic, but she doesn't
attempt to deal with them. Instead, she simply lists
them as candidates for future research. I am not
aware of how Zuber would respond, but I would like to
know if Ken or anyone else has come across one.

- sameer