b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Relative ages of LXX, DSS and proto-MT texts

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Philip Engmann" <phil-eng AT ighmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Relative ages of LXX, DSS and proto-MT texts
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 19:53:43 -0000

Thanks Harold.

This clarifies for me the difference between:

1. the historical date of production of the earliest LXX; 3rd-2nd BCE;
and

2. the dating of the actual earliest copies of LXX that we have
currently in existence today; 4th-5th centuries CE, according to Peter.

Philip

Dear Philip,

A possible problem with your line of reasoning, but I may misunderstand
you, is that however old the LXX might be, we don't have the original
manuscripts. The DSS copies of the LXX we have are the oldest we have, I
think.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard

The DSS have long been trumpeted as being the oldest known biblical