b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Relative ages of LXX, DSS and proto-MT texts

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: CS Bartholomew <jacksonpollock AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Relative ages of LXX, DSS and proto-MT texts
  • Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 23:37:33 -0800

On 3/4/04 5:11 PM, "Moshe Shulman" <mshulman AT ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>>> 3. I have yet to find a LXX reading used in a 'sectarian' text.
>> Moshe,
>> That is an interesting comment. Could you expand on it? What your saying is
>> that when the non-canonical DSS texts quote from the OT canon they never
>> agree with the LXX against the MT. Is that what you are saying?
>

> I cannot claim to have checked every reference, but I have checked many,
> and have not found the LXX. They use either the MT or the unique Qumran
> version.

By "unique Qumran version" do you mean what E.Tov has called "free"
citations or do you mean citations from a independent text type known to
exist at Qumran among the DSS canonical texts? I assume you mean the later.

Would be nice to hear from someone who can offer a counter example. Can
anyone show us an undisputable LXX reading used in a DSS 'sectarian' text?

inquisitively,
Clay Bartholomew