b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Relative ages of LXX, DSS and proto-MT texts

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Moshe Shulman <mshulman AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Relative ages of LXX, DSS and proto-MT texts
  • Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 19:47:45 -0500

At 04:38 PM 3/4/2004 -0600, Harold R. Holmyard III wrote:
A possible problem with your line of reasoning, but I may misunderstand
you, is that however old the LXX might be, we don't have the original
manuscripts. The DSS copies of the LXX we have are the oldest we have, I
think.

It is also true that:

1. The DSS has the oldest manuscripts of the MT.
2. There is numerically much more MT readings then LXX.
3. I have yet to find a LXX reading used in a 'sectarian' text.