b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Qumran agreement with LXX and MT, was: aph

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Qumran agreement with LXX and MT, was: aph
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:52:14 -0600

Dear Yigal,

>As far as "The matter touches directly on the New Testament account of the
>birth of Jesus", that's also rediculous. Isaiah DID NOT have Jesus in mind.
>It was convenient for Matthew to have a "prophecy" to quote, but that's all.

HH: Yigal, are you familiar with this following NT passage?

1Pet. 1:10 ΒΆ Concerning this salvation, the prophets, who spoke of the
grace that was to come to you, searched intently and with the greatest
care,
1Pet. 1:11 trying to find out the time and circumstances to which the
Spirit of Christ in them was pointing when he predicted the sufferings of
Christ and the glories that would follow.
1Pet. 1:12 It was revealed to them that they were not serving themselves
but you, when they spoke of the things that have now been told you by those
who have preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven.
Even angels long to look into these things.

This topic is not, perhaps, directly related to the list, but here is a
link to an article I wrote suggesting that Isaiah could have had the
Messiah in mind, though Isaiah would not have known the Messiah as "Jesus."

http://journalofbiblicalstudies.org/Issue1/Articles/linkage_between_isaiah_7.htm

Yours,
Harold Holmyard