b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Qumran agreement with LXX and MT, was: aph

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jonathan Walther <krooger AT debian.org>
  • To: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Qumran agreement with LXX and MT, was: aph
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:26:57 -0800

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 04:09:18PM -0700, Dave Washburn wrote:
Most of the "non-aligned" texts are actually MT-based, with the vast majority of variants involving little more than spelling variations. Based on my own research, I would guesstimate that at least 30% of these have what I would call an MT "flavor" while the other 17% are readings unique to the DSS themselves. Tov tends to refer to the 30% as either "proto-Masoretic" or "Qumran type." I have some doubts about these terms (because of certain assumptions that underly them, see his book) but the actual differences between these and what we know as the MT are fairly minor.

What is your take on the book by Pastor V.S. Herrell, "The History of
the Bible"? It is short, you can read it online here:

http://www.christianseparatist.org/ast/hist/toc.htm

He argues that Jesus spoke Greek, not Aramaic, and that the Septuagint
was the Bible that Jesus and his disciples considered authoritative.
His arguments and evidence seemed compelling to me, but I don't have the
scholarly background or resources to make an accurate judgement on these
matters. Perhaps some kind person on this list could help?

Jonathan

--
Address: 13685 Hilton Road, Surrey, BC V3R5J8 (Canada)
Contact: 604-951-4142 (between 7am and 10pm, PST)