b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Qumran agreement with LXX and MT, was: aph

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Jonathan Walther <krooger AT debian.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Qumran agreement with LXX and MT, was: aph
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 03:37:21 -0800

On 23/02/2004 17:54, Jonathan Walther wrote:

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 03:48:19PM -0800, Peter Kirk wrote:

Jonathan, I think you should apologise to the Jewish members of this list for posting a link to this kind of anti-Semitic conspiracy theory material.

As a pure-blooded Israelite tracing my lineage back to King David, I
find such a comment offensive. ...

Jonathan, I apologise for any offence. But if you are really a pure-blooded Jew I am surprised that you don't find Pastor Herrell's material far more offensive. (Or do your trace your descent from David by some other line e.g. via the British royal family?)

... Conspiracies take many faces, and have
many participants. To hold one group of people as immune from
participating in conspiracies is to dehumanize and patronize them. ...

I don't hold anyone as immune. But conspiracies should be alleged (especially in this very sensitive area) only when there is proper evidence for them. Some simple checking of the facts, by Pastor Herrell or by yourself, should make it clear that in this case the evidence does not exist.

... It
also invalidates the entire New Testament.

I don't understand this comment. Are you suggesting that the New Testament gives evidence of a Jewish conspiracy? The most that you can legitimately read from it is that a particular group of Jews plotted against Jesus and against the early church. That is not the same as saying that Jews in general did.

From the first page I looked at, http://www.christianseparatist.org/ast/hist/ot.htm:

> Jews begin to deceive Catholics into accepting Hebrew through Jerome.

... and worse.

I am interested in whether there is any truth to the allegation, not in
whether the allegation is politically incorrect. Pastor Herrell spent
quite a bit of time developing the thesis you just dismissed. Now, you
may be perfectly correct, and Pastor Herrell absolutely wrong. As a
non-scholarly outsider though, you haven't given me enough information
to make a judgement.

Well, let's look at the statement "Jews begin to deceive Catholics..." This implies several things:

1) That what certain Jews were saying to Jerome, presumably about the priority of the Hebrew text over the LXX, was untrue. Well, this is one of Herrell's main themes, and I think it has been thoroughly discredited by the evidence given by Søren and Dave.

2) That the Jews knew that what they were saying was untrue. This is without any foundation and highly improbable. Whether or not they were correct, they were surely sincere and not deliberately deceiving anyone.

3) That the dialogue between Jews and Jerome was the start of an ongoing process. Sadly, this was not true. During Jerome's time the western empire was overrun by "barbarians" (my ancestors!) and contact between the western church and the Palestinian Jewish community was lost. All continuing contact between Christians and Jews for the next thousand years and more was acrimonious. Only during the Renaissance was some contact reestablished, and for the first time in a millennium Christians started to read Hebrew.

I appreciate that everyone has busy lives, and I have no right to expect
an answer; a proper debunking might take several hours. Instead of a
"just trust me", it might sound more reasonable to say "I disagree, but
it would take a while to show you why".

I think the following (from http://www.christianseparatist.org/ast/hist/qumran.htm) illustrates clearly how valueless the book is:

First of all, the Israeli government has kept the documents from the general public, so an exhaustive study of their textual content is unavailable. The reason that the Jews have kept a hold on the documents is clear from what documents and statistics have been released. They even fought the Six Day War to gain control of the documents. The Qumran Scrolls of the Old Testament agree with the Septuagint version of the Old Testament to a far greater degree than they agree with the Masoretic Text. Thus, from a statistical point of view, the Dead Sea Scrolls are dangerous to the Jews. At the same time, however, for the most part, the Dead Sea Scrolls do not agree with either the Masoretic Text or the Septuagint, but preserve another type of reading altogether.

This is simply full of factual errors with a clearly tendentious intention.

Tendentious or not, I am not familiar enough with the facts for it to be
obvious that any of the above statements are errors. You pasted a
summary of many points that Pastor Harrell spent some time establishing
a basis for in the rest of his book.

Well, as you suggest I don't have time to go into all of this, but here are some points:

1) Despite what Dave says, many of the DSS were kept from the general public until 1991. But this was not done by the Israeli government, but by a small team of scholars (many of whom expressed openly anti-Semitic views) who were the self-appointed guardians of most of the scrolls. Only in 1990 was the Israeli Jew Tov appointed to head the team, and in 1991 the scrolls were made public. (Summarised from the introduction to G. Vermes "The Complete Dead Sea Scrolls in English").

2) The Israeli government had far more important reasons than the DSS for fighting the Six Day War. If control of the DSS had been even a minor war aim, the government would have exercised that control after the war, when the scrolls were on their occupied territory; but instead they allowed the team of scholars to keep control.

3) What Herrell says about the contents of the scrolls has been thoroughly discredited by the data posted on this list. Herrell may have been writing partly from ignorance before 1991. He made certain assumptions about the content of unpublished material which have now been shown clearly to be false.

I seek truth, no matter how mucky or dirty it may get.

So do I. But the only muck I can see here is what Herrell has thrown.

Jonathan

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)