b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Qumran agreement with LXX and MT, was: aph

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Charles David Isbell" <cisbell AT cox.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Qumran agreement with LXX and MT, was: aph
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:39:10 -0600

I think we should read carefully what Yigal said. "Isaiah DID NOT have Jesus
in mind." Then we can compare the final sentence of Harold Holmyard's
disagreement with him: "Isaiah would not have known the Messiah as 'Jesus.'"

It is doctrine in Christian circles to believe that the NT is authoritative
and that a passage from I Peter proves beyond doubt that Isaiah wrote with
Jesus of Nazareth in mind. It is standard in my circle as a Jew to take
Isaiah's own words seriously as reference to an eighth century crisis,
during which Isaiah was advising Ahaz about a Syro-Israelite threat. How his
words leap frog over 750 years and come to attain a first century CE context
that holds for all time is not a discussion I wish to have on this list.

Re. the Talmud, why not visit a local synagogue? Virtually every one has a
copy of the Talmud, and most will have an English translation of at least
part of it.

Charles David Isbell