b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Qumran agreement with LXX and MT, was: aph

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Penner" <pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca>
  • To: "'Jonathan Walther'" <krooger AT debian.org>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Qumran agreement with LXX and MT, was: aph
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:53:15 -0500

Hi Jonathan; you asked:

> Not knowing the names of the authoritative scholars in this field, I
> must ask, is Lampe a reliable scholar? Pastor Herrell also quoted
> Eugene Ulrich and his book, "The Qumran Text of Samuel and
> Josephus" in
> support of his thesis. Is this also an unreliable source?

Eugene Ulrich is the top authority on the biblical text of the Dead Sea
Scrolls. His dissertation on the 4QSam texts deals with some of the unusual
cases where a Dead Sea Scroll is in closer agreement to the text we have
preserved in Greek (LXX) than to what we have preserved in Hebrew by the
Masoretes (BHS).
As others on this list have stated, it is more common for the Dead Sea
Scrolls to agree with the Hebrew MT than with the Greek LXX.

Lampe is not a Dead Sea Scrolls scholar (as far as I know).

Ken Penner, McMaster/DSS
Dead Sea Scrolls scholars' list owner,
http://mailman.McMaster.CA/mailman/listinfo/g-megillot