b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Greek & Hebrew "brush-up" tools

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Westfall" <steve.westfall AT comcast.net>
  • To: <dwashbur AT nyx.net>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, <b-greek AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Greek & Hebrew "brush-up" tools
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:54:25 -0600

Martin,

Since you asked the same question on both the b-hebrew and b-greek lists,
I'm replying once and copying it to both lists.

Dave Washburn is absolutely right. Reading, even if it's only a couple of
verses a day, is the best thing for you. Over time you'll probably find
that you are able to read a greater amount of text in the same amount of
time. It's better to read just a little bit than to be overly ambitious,
get frustrated and give up because you don't have time to read an entire
chapter a day.

At some point, it would be good to drag out the introductory grammar that
you originally learned the language from and start reviewing it. (Or
perhaps start working your way through a different introductory grammar.
I'm doing that now with Funk's Beginning-Intermediate Grammar of Hellenistic
Greek.) The reason for this is that even if you recognize vocabulary and
most sentence structure, you will have forgotten some of the grammatical
distinctions that you probably originally learned, and in your reading of
the text you will be missing some important things without being aware of it
(e.g. case usage in Greek).

I may provoke a few negative comments by saying this, but I also think it's
important not to get bogged down and spend most of your time looking up
vocabulary in the lexicon. If you have to, it would be better at first to
"cheat" by glancing from time to time at a translation. The point of the
exercise initially is actually to read some sentences in Greek or Hebrew,
not do a word study. Over time this crutch will become less necessary, and
you can rely on the lexicon without it consuming all your time.

Good luck in a noble cause!

Steve Westfall
Naperville, Illinois