b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] M:GIDDON in Zech 12:11

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Marko Jauhiainen <marko.jauhiainen AT tpu.fi>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] M:GIDDON in Zech 12:11
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 09:54:53 +0200

Dear Jarold,

Harold R. Holmyard III wrote:

It has been suggested that the LXX translator of Zechariah 12:11 read
the Hebrew MGD[W]N as a verb or verbal noun deriving from GDD or (less
commonly) GD(. Do you agree with this and if you do, how would you parse
the word and/or translate it literally?

HH: That seems right, although GD( seems less likely to me, as I can't
understand why the ( would drop. The translator might have seen it as a
derived noun meaning place of cutting off.

I was curious about GD( as well. However, T. Jansma (*Inquiry into the Hebrew Text and the Ancient Versions of Zechariah IX-XIV* [Leiden: E. J. Brill, 1949], p 119) writes, "G[reek] etymologizes from a root [ayin dalet gimel]". He does not even mention GDD as a possibility, although most others give only GDD. I understood this to mean that the Greek "ekkoptomenou" cannot be a translation of a verbal noun "MGDWN", at least in Jansma's opinion.

Among the proposals for the
latter I have seen "the place of the cut down", "his place of gathering
troops", and "attacking", for example.

HH: It's probably good to stick with "Megiddo," however. See the evidence
collected in Gesenius-Kautch-Cowley 85v. The LXX translator is often not to
be followed in the later books.

Megiddo is fine. I was just wondering what the etymology of this place name might be, given that at least somebody has tried to translate it.

As for the GKC, the nearest copy may well be about three hours' flight away, so could perhaps offer a brief summary?

Shalom,
Marko