b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] M:GIDDON in Zech 12:11

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] M:GIDDON in Zech 12:11
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 16:03:00 -0500

Dear Marko, While I would agree that the LXX thinks of megiddon as a noun
deriving from the root GDD meaning "to cut," the derived noun meaning
something like "a cutting down." However, all suggestions as to the old
word's etymolgy are extremely tenuous. I would think more likely is
relating the word to another root GDD, which means "band together" and gives
us the fairly common noun in the Bible gadud, meaning "a band of warriors."
The military significance of the Megiddo is better related to the idea of
banding together, to wit the prize Egypt, Sisera, or Solomon made of the
place as key point for controlling the roads of Palestine and thus the
region. If so, megiddon might mean something like "thing that holds
together." As further evidence for the "banding" idea we may cite the
Arabic name for the place, Tell el-Mutesellim, "the tell of the governor."

Shalom, Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Living Word Church
6101 Court St. Rd.