b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] M:GIDDON in Zech 12:11

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Marko Jauhiainen <marko.jauhiainen AT tpu.fi>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] M:GIDDON in Zech 12:11
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 07:56:52 +0200

Dear list,

It has been suggested that the LXX translator of Zechariah 12:11 read
the Hebrew MGD[W]N as a verb or verbal noun deriving from GDD or (less
commonly) GD(. Do you agree with this and if you do, how would you parse
the word and/or translate it literally? Among the proposals for the
latter I have seen "the place of the cut down", "his place of gathering
troops", and "attacking", for example.

Shalom,
Marko Jauhiainen

PS. My apologies if you receive two copies of this. The first did not appear to get through to the list but may resurface later.