b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] pronounciation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: kwrandolph AT email.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] pronounciation
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 19:20:13 -0800 (PST)

Karl, it is because the frequent referrals to Aramaic, and that of the
Targumim,that I thought the intent of some in the disucussion was the late
Heb. of the the end of second temple period.

If one refers to pre-exilic pronounciation, one has to keep in mind that here
too the time span is long: more than a thousand years -- from the Amarna
period onwards.Here one has to base ones assumptions on: cuneiform,
Arabic or so called proto-Semitic, and finally the MT even though the
latter, we know ,is very late in terms of pronounciation
since ther language ceased to spoken for genrations prior to it.

As for Sin and Shin, both letters are part of the Semitic alphabet as
attested in classical Arabic.

Uri