b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] shewa following conjunctive waw

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] shewa following conjunctive waw
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 23:20:44 +0200

If the Sheva in "lishmu)el" (e.g. 1Sam 3:9) is silent, preceded by a short
Hiriq, why should the Sheva in "ushmu)el" (vs. 7) be different? My feeling
is that we can treat the Shuruq, when Not preceded by a consonant, as a
short vowel. As Peter (I think) has pointed out, the unpointed text had the
Vav already there, probably originally pronounced "w".

Yigal