b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Yam Suph "Reed" Sea ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Yam Suph "Reed" Sea ?
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 23:06:56 +0200

Actually, Shoshanna, I have read several articles suggesting that the Yam
Suph is a mythical metaphore for death, and the Israelites' rescue a kind of
re-birth, reflected in the cosmic struggle between YHWH/Baal and Yamm.
Unfortunately, I don't have the reference, but it was probably in JBL, VT,
JSOT or some such journal from about 3 years ago.

Yigal