b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] shewa following conjunctive waw

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bearpecs AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] shewa following conjunctive waw
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 16:32:29 EST

GHK (104e): "Before words with simple Shewa under the first consonant
(except in the cases under f), the Waw becomes the vowel u"

Weingreen (_A Practical Grammar for Classsical Hebrew_, p.40): "When the
conjunction is prefixed to a word whose first letter has a shewa, as shemu'el
[Heb] 'Samuel' then, since the word cannot begin with two shewas (as
weshemu'el
[Heb]) the waw [Heb] takes the form shuruq [Heb] -- ushemu'el [Heb] 'and
Samuel'."

Neither of these grammars state so explicitly, so I need to ask to be sure:
Does the shewa under the second letter (which had been the first before the
conjunction was added) always remain vocal? I.e. is it true to say that a
shewa
under the second letter after waw conjunctive is always vocal?

Thanks
Hayyim