b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] lexicography

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] lexicography
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 12:32:58 -0700

I know I said I was out of this, but I have to address this because it's such
a gross misrepresentation of my words:

On Tuesday 18 November 2003 10:32, Karl Randolph wrote:
> > Enjoy your lexicographical back-flips if you like;
>
> My flip flops?
>
> To give a picture from politics:
>
> Before the U.S. and Britain sent troops into Iraq, look at the statements,
> President: “It will be a long, hard war.”
> Democrats in Congress: “It will be a cakewalk.”
>
> Now,
> President: “We have won a small step, there is much left to do.”
> Democrats in Congress, of president: “He lied, *he* said it would be a
> cakewalk.”
>
> Back to lexicography, when you made statements concerning looking for core
> definitions that I never claimed, and when I wrote to correct you, you call
> that a flip flop?

I didn't say "flip flop," Karl. I never suggested the sort of thing you
address, and would ask you to please look back through the thread and read
what I actually wrote. I never even hinted at the term "flip flop" as if to
say you were changing view in the manner you describe. I don't appreciate
this sort of misrepresentation, and it indicates to me that someone is not
actually READING what I write, but trying to find ways to frobnicate with my
words in order to avoid having to deal with them. Please don't do this any
more. I do my best not to do it with your words, and would ask for the same
courtesy.

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur