b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] lexicography

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] lexicography
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 00:36:10 -0500

CS Bartholomew:

It has been years since I last read Tanakh using a pointed text, but I know
many times the only way one can recognize which form is being used is from
the context and/or points, the consonants alone do not always indicate which
form to read. I wonder how many times I read a verb as a Qal when the
Masorites pointed it as a niphal, or possibly even as a Hiphil? Or reversed?
If the context calls for a passive and the consonental verb form could be
read equally well as either a Qal or Niphal, I read it as a Niphal. Where the
consonents could be read as a verb or a noun, and the context calls for a
noun, I read it as a noun. And so forth.

Where the consonants do indicate the verbal form, I find them very useful for
lexicography, in contrast to Reinier de Blois quoted below. My research
indicates just the opposite.

This is not to claim that it helps in every case, but it helps in far more
cases than not.

Karl W. Randolph.