b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] lexicography

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "SCOTT, PETER" <peter.scott AT bell.ca>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] lexicography
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 12:47:41 -0500

Mark Eddy wrote:

Interesting. Let's look at one of my favorite English examples.

Strike can mean:
-to hit (strike the rock with your staff)
-to miss (in baseball)

[Isn't it the batter who is struck out of play for missing the ball?]

-to start something (strike up the band)

[Isn't it the drums and xylophones and whatever that are struck as the
band begins to play?]

-to stop something (go on strike)

[When struck isn't it the company which is hit with a work stoppage?
The last time I walked a picket line that's what happened.]

to name just a few. Here we have one lexeme with at least two meanings,
plus
two more that are polar opposites of the first two. What exactly is the

"core definition"?

[The four different meanings you use are not so different after all.]

Peter Scott