b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] lexicography

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] lexicography
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 17:37:12 -0700

On Monday 17 November 2003 10:47, SCOTT, PETER wrote:
> Mark Eddy wrote:
>
> Interesting. Let's look at one of my favorite English examples.
>
> Strike can mean:
> -to hit (strike the rock with your staff)
> -to miss (in baseball)
>
> [Isn't it the batter who is struck out of play for missing the ball?]

No. The pitch itself is a strike because it was NOT hit. This is reaching.

> -to start something (strike up the band)
>
> [Isn't it the drums and xylophones and whatever that are struck as the
> band begins to play?]

Well, sure - and of course, the trumpets, clarinets, and all the other WIND
instruments that actually make up the vast bulk of a band (include violins
and other strings if you want to extend it to an orchestra) all smack their
instruments with a stick as well, right? This is both lame and uninformed.

> -to stop something (go on strike)
>
> [When struck isn't it the company which is hit with a work stoppage?
> The last time I walked a picket line that's what happened.]

It's the workers who go "on strike," and going "on strike" is defined as
"work
stoppage" per your own words. This is self-defeating.

Come on, guys. This is reaching the point of being, well, silly. All these
absurd gymnastics to try and bail out a lame theory are pointless. I'm sure
the energy that has gone into them could be put to more productive use.

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur