b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] lexicography

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] lexicography
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 12:32:52 -0500

Dave:

I hinted at it in my last note, and now state plainly, I think the reason you
don’t recognize core definitions is because of your Weltanschauung, your set
of presuppositions. Your religion, or philosphy if you prefer to call it
that, causes you to look at the data in a different manner than I and some
others in this mailing list. I do not say this to disparage you or to call
into question your intelligence, just to note that the difference exists.

It appears to me that you are using a mode of thought that looks at the
surface details, the form, then marks and classifies all the differences that
exist. Others in this mailing list use this same mode of thought, which has
been used for millennia.

I and some others use a mode of thought that looks beneath the surface to
look for the connections, even going back in history if needed, the function
so to speak. We also look at the contexts of its usage to see if there are
specialized uses that we should take note of. We also look for compound
lexemes, where in the presence of another lexeme it has a different meaning
(in many germanic languages, compound lexemes are expressed by combining
words and/or adding prefixes and/or suffixes to make new words; in English,
Chinese and many other languages, the words are kept separate though in
combination give new meanings). This mode of thought also has been used for
millennia.

Further comments below.

Karl W. Randolph.