b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] lexicography

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] lexicography
  • Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 04:12:46 -0500

Julie:

I started with a copy of Gesenius with regular access to BDB. Of the lexemes
I looked up, it was very rare that the definitions differed substantially in
those two dictionaries. In fact, I don’t remember any. My copy of Gesenius
fell apart from much use. I also had Davidson’s Analytical Lexicon, which
also fell apart. I had to have it rebound, but the last “lexicon” I used was
Lisowsky’s Konkordanz zum Hebräischen Alten Testiment.

Davidson’s listed all the lexemes under their roots. Using that dictionary
until it fell apart helped me learn to recognize the different inflections
and derivitives.

Like Peter Kirk, my native tongue is English, however I have lived in
non-English speaking environments forcing me to learn other languages. From
those experiences I learned how to learn foreign languages, not as a second
language, but as much as possible as a native speaker. I have tried to take
the lessons learned to apply them to learning Biblical Hebrew.

The first lesson I learned is that lexemes have one core meaning (unless
where there are two lexemes with the same pronunciation that have merged,
like “to” and “two” in English). I found it easiest to learn to use the
lexemes correctly if I could learn that core definition to recognize how it
is used, even if it didn’t make sense in English. As far as I can tell, this
is what Rolf Furuli means with his psycho-linguistics in word definitions.

Another of the lessons I applied was to compare synonyms, sometimes
contrasting antonyms, to find out what lexemes mean. For example, there are
over a dozen synonyms for R)H [ra‘ah] “to look, see” in Tanakh. Some synonyms
have a broad meaning, such as “to put” in English, others much more
restricted, such as “to set up”.

One concept specific to Biblical Hebrew, look to see how lexemes are actually
used in Hebrew, not how we think (for theological or other reasons) they
should mean. Ah, theologians love to spin airy castles of theological
meaning, often based on definitions I couldn’t find when I looked at the
original text. (Maybe I’m not imaginative enough.)

Already before my copy of Gesenius fell apart, I started filling the margins
with pointers to synonyms and to try to recognize what is the one core
meaning to each lexeme. As the Gesenius dictionary fell apart, I transfered
the notes to the Lisowsky’s concordance. I noticed that Lisowsky had far
fewer speculative meanings than Gesenius/BDB. He was also far more willing to
admit that he was not sure of a definition. The last I heard, his concordance
is out of print. Most of the time (95% of the time or more), my notes
indicate that I agree with the definition as given, or a close synonym that I
judge to be a slightly more accurate rendition into English.

About the same time my copy of Gesenius’ fell apart, I started reading Tanakh
with a card covering the vowel points, which in the case of the Qoren edition
left a text that was almost totally unpointed. When I switched to reading on
my computer instead, I chose the Online Bible unpointed text (they also have
a pointed text) because I don’t always agree with the points. As far as I
know, theirs is the only unpointed text available.

I have since entered and expanded my notes into my computer (Macintosh
format, Macwrite Pro document) keyed to Online Bible’s unpointed text. That
is now my main dictionary. It is a work in progress: because I wrote it, I am
willing upon reading a term in a context to say, “That doesn’t make sense”
and proceed to reevaluate. Sometimes I push the envelop and speculate, but I
like to do that here online and not in my notes, so I can be shot down if I’m
wrong, which I often am. Even when I’m shot down, that helps me understand
the text.

Sorry I couldn’t give you a reference to a published dictionary, but you
asked what I use. I figured that it is best to tell not only what, but why.

Karl W. Randolph.