b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] lexicography

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Julie Devall" <krena_li_mara AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] lexicography
  • Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 15:46:05 +0000

Hello All,

I am currently working on an independent study in lexicography, and have benefitted much from the previous posts. I also do not want to step into the middle of Peter v. Karl. But in a related thread, I know there are other lexica than BDB, but wondered if Karl would tell us about the lexicon he uses and why it is philosophically superior. After all, I have problems with some of BDB, but have always regarded it as my default.

Also relatedly, I'm wondering why JM call dibber a Denominative Piel, which is "not a grammatical, but lexical category." And behind it lies "a related, and assuredly more primitive, noun: dibber to speak (vs. davar)". Trevor, can you shed any light on why davar is "assuredly more primitive?"

All other guidance on how to correctly do lexicography is welcome and appreciated.

many thanks,

Julie :)

Great deals on high-speed Internet access as low as $26.95. https://broadband.msn.com (Prices may vary by service area.)