b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Variants of YHWH in the BHS Text

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Trevor Peterson <06peterson AT cua.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Variants of YHWH in the BHS Text
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 11:44:41 -0700

On 28/09/2003 10:07, Trevor Peterson wrote:

Liz wrote:

The Greek transliteration OU is customarily read as the consonant W in the word Yahweh, but it could equally be read as the long ooo sound.

But if it is /u/, then what is the next consonant? In Hebrew, you can't
have two vowels in a row. Maybe we could suggest that it is both /u/ and
/w/, but I can't think of an example where we get that combination. (I
seem to remember getting a yod-dagesh representing a mater followed by a
consonantal yod, but not with vav.) If that's not possible, then it
seems to me that we don't have a valid form (unless the h starts the
next syllable, but who's suggesting that?).

Well, I can think of two possibly relevant examples. One is the rather odd form QWH (1Ki 10:28) or QW) (2Ch 1:16) which is represented in English translations as Kue, although pointed with sheva and tsere. The other is in fact an exception to the two vowels in a row rule, which I already mentioned, that we could have a furtive patah before he with mappiq.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)